Faster and easier software creation these days is done with low-code. Are you already familiar with this form of software development? What exactly is low code, what are the benefits, who can use it and what does the future of low code look like? As specialists in low-code, we’ll tell you all about it. Are you reading?
What is low-code?
Low-code is a form of sustainable software developmentthat is becoming increasingly popular. It is a lightning-fast technique for application development. Instead of a textual and technical coding environment, low-code operates in a model-driven, drag-and-drop interface. A good example is the Mendix low code platform.
Did you know. For example, research and consulting firm Gartner predicts that by 2025, 70% of apps will be built using no-code/low-code technology.
What are the benefits?
Low-Code Application Development Platforms (LCAPs) abstract and automate every step of an application’s life cycle. It then becomes, even without much technical knowledge, a lot easier and more accessible to create applications. Many organizations are increasingly turning to this form of software development because of these advantages:
- Visual modeling
It includes convenient drag-and-drop functionality and an intuitive visual user interface.
- Reusable components
It includes pre-made modules, logic, templates, connectors and more apps that work on different platforms.
- Tools for collaboration
The visual nature of low-code makes it easy to collaborate with different tools.
- Scalable environments
Low-code offers a lot of flexibility. But also provides support for continuous delivery, and run-time and dev-time scalability on demand.
- Data integration
You can also securely integrate data and logic from any source, system or service – including from your existing, legacy systems.
- Application lifecycle management
Using and supporting Agile development techniques and DevOps tools, low-code supports all phases of the development cycle of application development. Low-code even promotes agile working!
Want to know more about the benefits? Learn why you should use low-code and how low-code can increase realization power within your organization.
Who can use low-code?
And who benefits from low-code? Low-code includes separate integrated development environments that work together intelligently. This is in contrast to the past, where software used to work mostly “on islands. Low code ensures that you can use the techniques both as an “ordinary” business user but also as a professional developer. Thus, all levels of development – professional developers, novice developers, subject matter experts, business stakeholders and decision makers – can use low-code to build value-oriented business applications.
Benefits for all stakeholders
For the IT department
- Development speed: thanks to configuration, visual design, drag and drop, and the use of graphics and project templates and plugins;
- Standard application quality: thanks tothe absence of human error by eliminating manual programming;
- Reduced application maintenance time: thanks to vendors’ continuous updating of platforms;
- The ability to develop without technical skills because the simplicity of low-code is beyond question;
- The ability to model a program once and release it for multiple systems.
For the staff
- Digitization of processes: thanks to the large number of applications available;
- Process automation: thanks to the development of more complex and intelligent software systems;
- Time savings in data entry due to increased and improved system integration;
- Increased access to data and information: thanks to the creation of customized data extraction and analysis applications adapted to business needs;
- The perfect alignment and cooperation of applications thanks to customization;
- Always new applications that meet the latest standards, both in terms of functionality and user experience.
- Better involvement of developers in application development, thanks to the simplicity of the approach and the speed that enables changes in real time;
- More control and better management of activities: thanks to digital tracking and analysis through applications;
- Shorter time-to-market: thanks to the shorter time required for application release;
- The ability to quickly create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) and scale the application based on market and user feedback;
- The ability to use more detailed analysis to make better decisions.
For the whole company
- Reduced costs for application development, maintenance and updating;
- Shorter payback period for spending on applications;
- More automation and innovation: thanks to applications that enable renewal of processes, procedures and information systems;
- Increased productivity: thanks to applications that simplify and speed up staff activities;
- Reduced risks arising from applications created by non-specialist personnel (such as spreadsheet-based applications);
- Continuous innovation: thanks to the simplicity of changing and updating software systems.
What can you do with low-code?
Low-code, then, is a new way of developing software that allows you to build apps and websites without too much technical knowledge. Low-code allows you to develop software and applications quickly and easily, without having to write complex code. The software is also secure, reliable and scalable. If your organization wants to make IT processes more efficient or if you want to develop new software, starting with low-code is the ideal solution.
Features at a glance:
Low code is:
- Fast – easy interfaces with drag and drop options
- Simple – both easy to learn and apply
- No complex code – low-code does not require difficult programming languages
- Secure – usually low-code is hosted in a cloud infrastructure which means there are multiple layers of operational and physical security
- Reliable – the software includes self-healing mechanisms and security teams
- Scalable – low-code standards help you build solutions at scale.
The future of low code is great
If you are already using low-code, you can discover its benefits and look ahead to the many innovations to come. Our enthusiastic international team naturally follows these innovations closely and are working on them daily. There are already many companies and organizations using low code. Our expectation? This will only increase in the future!
Working with low-code at ChangeMakers
At ChangeMakers, we are always looking for new and innovative ways to improve the software development process. Do you also want to get started with low code? Together we can make a gigantic impact on the development and acceleration process of IT within organizations. Take a look at our website and learn more about our programs. Or check out our job openings right away. We look forward to working with you!